Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Identity Crisis!

We have a pride problem. Stemming from this pride problem is a boatload of silly little insecurities—especially in teenagers. We try to find our identity in a lot of things that don’t matter: “She’s the popular one; he’s the nerd; they’re the athletes; she’s the musician,” etc.

While there is certainly nothing wrong with having something we’re good at, the problem comes when pride kicks in, making us feel discontent because we aren’t enough. “I’m not attractive enough; I’m not rich enough; I don’t have enough friends; I’m not athletic enough.” People tend to call this problem low self-esteem. They say that people who feel inadequate about themselves only feel that way because they don’t love themselves enough. However, I would beg to differ. When we feel inadequate in this way, it is because we cannot stand having others view us as less than perfect—we are so prideful and self-absorbed that we think we need to somehow “measure up” to a non-existent standard we place for ourselves.

As Christians, this whole thing becomes a non-issue, because when we place our faith in Christ, we become His. This is our new identity: His. Suddenly all these insecurities we had about ourselves seem so trivial. So what if I’m not the most attractive person? So what if I’m not the most popular? Most talented? Most intelligent? WHO CARES?! When I find myself thinking this way, I just need to get over myself. It’s not about me; I really am insignificant apart from Christ. I don’t need to think of myself more; I need to think of myself less. Then this huge weight is lifted off of my shoulders. I don’t need to measure up to anything. I can’t measure up to anything. All I need to worry about is being pleasing to God. He is my strength.

I am an American. I am white. I am a (wannabe) musician. I am a (again, wannabe) writer. I am a homeschooler. I go to Indian Hills Community Church. I am a Pelton. All of these things are true, but in none of these things do I find my identity. The only place I find who I am is in Christ.

Who am I? I am His.

“Who We Are”
We find who we are in the blood of Your Son;
We find who we are in what You have done.
We find who we are in grace poured from above;
We find who we are in Your love, in Your love.

Without You we have no worth.
In Your cross, we find rebirth.

We find who we are in Your work on the cross;
All worldly things we held dear now are loss.
Nothing on this earth could define who we are;
Lord, only in You, in Your blood and Your scars

We find who we are,
Who we are, who we are:
We are Yours.

Copyright 2011 Samuel Pelton.

No comments:

Post a Comment