Sunday, June 19, 2011

Praise the One Who Gave/Gives Us Life ("Breathe")

I've always liked the song "Breathe"; it's simple and highly worshipful. I really love the clear metaphors--air and bread.

First, the author says that God's presence inside of us is like the air we breathe. Just like air, His living in us gives us life and keeps us living! The author goes on to compare God's Word to our daily bread; again, she's saying that His Word is what keeps us alive and living. Without His presence inside us and without His Word to guide us, we would die, both physically and spiritually.

The author wraps up with two little lines declaring our great need and desperation for God. Even though He has saved us, we still need Him each and every day to sustain our physical and spiritual life. Without Him, we would be lost. So in just a few short lines ("This is the air I breathe: / Your holy presence living in me. / This is my daily bread: / Your very Word spoken to me. / And I'm desperate for You! / And I'm lost without You!") this song conveys a powerful and simple message of our continual and dire need for God in our lives always.

He is our air; He is our bread. He is our sustenance and our fulfillment. Praise Him!

"Breathe"

This is the air I breathe;

This is the air I breathe:

Your holy presence living in me.

This is my daily bread;

This is my daily bread:

Your very word spoken to me.

And I, I'm desperate for You!

And I, I'm lost without You!

CCLI Song No. 1874117

© 1995 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)

Marie Barnett

For use solely with the SongSelect Terms of Use. All rights Reserved. www.ccli.com

CCLI License No. 108004

No comments:

Post a Comment