Monday, June 20, 2011

Praise the One Who Gives Us Joy in the Midst of Sorrow ("Trading My Sorrows")

I've heard a lot of flak about the song “Trading My Sorrows.” While the chorus (which consists of the phrase “Yes, Lord,” repeated about nine times) is admittedly not the most lyrical piece of work, the song actually teaches a wonderful concept: joy.

As Christians, we cannot escape hardships, frustrations, and trials. There are the day-to-day struggles of just living, trying through the Holy Spirit to serve Christ with every breath. Practicing love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and self-control on a day-to-day basis is difficult in and of itself. But there are also trials that periodically (or for some people, constantly) come into our lives which make being joyful just hard.

Sometimes we just want to quit. Sometimes we just want to say, “Enough is enough. I'm done.” But since we have Christ, along with salvation He gives us joy. That doesn't mean we're happy all the time, but we have an underlying joyfulness and peace because we are just grateful to have God and His salvation.

This is what “Trading My Sorrows” is talking about. We are able to turn over our frustrations, our sorrows, and our pain to God, and He gives us an indescribable joy in return. We have His assurances and promises to help us through.


“Trading My Sorrows”

I'm trading my sorrows.

I'm trading my shame.

I'm laying them down

For the joy of the Lord!

I'm trading my sickness.

I'm trading my pain.

I'm laying them down

For the joy of the Lord!


Yes, Lord, yes, Lord, yes yes, Lord!

Yes, Lord, yes, Lord, yes yes, Lord!

Yes, Lord, yes, Lord, yes yes, Lord!

Amen.


I am pressed but not crushed,

Persecuted not abandoned,

Struck down but not destroyed.

I am blessed beyond the curse,

For His promise will endure

That His joy's gonna be my strength.

Though the sorrow may last for the night,

His joy comes with the morning.


CCLI Song No. 2574653

© 1998 Integrity's Hosanna! Music

Darrell Evans

For use solely with the SongSelect Terms of Use. All rights Reserved. www.ccli.com

CCLI License No. 108004

No comments:

Post a Comment